We all love our furry friends. But we don’t love when our puppy or kitten ruins our furniture or our window blinds. It can be frustrating to come home and find your window blinds bent or broken from your pets dire need to see outside. Not only do we want to protect our home decor from our potentially destructive pets, we also want to protect them from any possible hazards.
Finding the right window treatment for a home with dogs or cats can be tricky. ShadeMonster has some tips and recommendations on how to pet proof your blinds.
How to Get Your Dog to Stop Messing with Your Blinds
Dogs have an instinctual need to see what’s going on around them, including what’s happening outside. Whether it’s just to pass the time watching the view or to see what the mailman is doing, sometimes our window treatments become an obstacle for dogs. In order to get your dog to stop messing with your blinds, it’s important to address the specific issue that leads to your pooch’s destruction.
If your dog simply wants to be able to see outside, leave a space for them to do so. With horizontal blinds or roller shades, you’re able to leave a large enough gap at the bottom of your window treatment to allow your pet to see through, while still benefiting from the light control and UV protection of the blinds.
Does your dog like to chew on your blinds? Use a sour apple spray (available at pet stores) to lightly coat the slats of your blinds. Dogs hate the smell and taste of the spray, despite it being neutral to humans. When you’re away from home, give your dog chew toys and keep them enclosed in a safe room. Bonus: chew toys with treats inside will keep them busy for a while!
Sometimes dogs are destructive because they suffer from separation anxiety. If this is the case, crate training is a great way to promote a safe space for your pet. Don’t feel guilty about leaving your dog locked in a crate, after some training this space becomes comforting when they’re alone. Another way to calm an anxious dog is to take them on a long walk before leaving. Keep in mind to not make a big deal about leaving your dog and they’ll be less likely to take it out on your blinds.
Cat-Friendly Roller Shades
Cats bring a whole other set of issues when it comes to the longevity of your window shades. They love to climb and scratch can easily destroy a blind or two. To avoid their curiosity getting the better of them, there are a few things you can do to promote a cat friendly space:
- Opt for cordless window treatments. Not just for aesthetics, going cordless is a safer option for your feline friends since it gets rid of any potential choking hazards. If your home already has blinds with cords, fasten them out of reach with a cord cleat. Swinging cords can be tantalizing to cats, so keeping them out of sight is important.
- If you’re in the market for new window treatments, select a shade without slats or strings. Similarly to cords, strings can be potentially harmful. Aluminum slats are easily broken or bent out of shape. Curious cats could easily become stuck or caught between flimsy slats and strings.
- Avoid puddled drapery. Not only can they become a nice place to sleep for your pets, they also collect dust and hair. Cats and kittens are more likely to climb drapery with a long train and could become tangled or injured. Instead select a drapery that skims the floor.
- If you find that your cats are scratching or climbing your window treatments without fail, it might be helpful to add a scratching post and climbing tower to home to promote healthy habits in designated areas. Scratching and climbing are instinctual habits for cats and it’s important to allow them to feel comfortable in their surroundings. Train them to use these cat toys instead of your beautiful blinds. If all else fails, try a deterrent spray to keep your cats off your window shades.
ShadeMonster’s Top Choices for Pet Friendly Blinds
- Faux-wood Blinds
Made from vinyl, faux-wood blinds are durable and long lasting. They look so much like real wood, you won’t be able to tell the difference. By opening the slats, your pets will still be able to see outside, minimizing the likelihood of them breaking. These blinds are also easy to clean and maintain. They won’t crack, warp, or break due to water damage or slobber damage.
- Roller Shades
These shades come in a variety of colors, textures, and materials to help you match your space. Roller shades are easy to maintain and won’t collect hair or dust like other window treatments might. Opt for an outside mount to allow your cat or small dog to easily slip between the shade and the window, without having to destroy it in the process. With an outside mount, the roller tube is mounted outside of the window frame leaving more space between the fabric and the glass. Roller shades are available in solar, blackout, and zebra.
- Motorized Window Treatments
Not only are motorized shades easy and convenient to adjust, they also have a cordless design that makes them a safer option for a home with pets or small children. Controlled by a remote, smartphone app, or smart home device like Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant, motorized shades can be programmed to raise or lower based on schedules you set. Does your dog like to look out of the front window during the day? Simply set a schedule to have your shades raised during the day and lowered at night for privacy. Forget to adjust your blinds before leaving the house? Use your smartphone to control them from anywhere.
The best way to accommodate your pet into your home is by giving them a designated space. Choose a window that will be your pet’s spot to gaze out. Set up a comfy bed or window hammock for your dog or cat to feel relaxed and snug. This way there is only one window treatment to worry about and only one window to clean from paw prints.
Why Trust ShadeMonster With Your Window Treatment?
ShadeMonster boasts over 25 years of experience creating custom window treatments. Our products come directly from our local factory guaranteeing high quality customizable materials, competitive pricing, and quick turn around. Contact us today for your free estimate, and have your new shades in less than 7 business days!
Still Need Help Deciding On Your Window Treatment?
ShadeMonster’s team of experts are happy to assist. Call now for free consultation: (866) 206-8056